This week in music news…
- This week marked what would have been David Bowie’s 71st birthday.
- “The Greatest Showman” soundtrack is currently at No. 1 on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums, up from No. 5 last week.
- At the 2018 Golden Globes, the self-love anthem “This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman” won Best Original Song; the song was written by “La La Land” and “Dear Evan Hansen” composers Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. The Disney-Pixar film “Coco,” a true celebration of Mexican culture, won Best Animated Motion Picture.
- In a social media blunder, Equal Visions Records misstated the release date for Waterparks‘ upcoming album Entertainment (Jan 26). Vocalist Awsten Knight, who has openly stated that creating the album negatively affected his mental and physical health, responded angrily on Twitter. The phrasing and level of anger in Knight’s response hints at other issues with the label. Knight was forced to delete his angry tweets.
- Babymetal guitarist Mikio Fujioka was announced dead at 36 on Tuesday.
- Sleeping With Sirens vocalist Kellin Quinn relaunched his clothing line Anthem Made on Friday.
- Four of Nirvana‘s early demo tapes from Bleach resurfaced this week. Listen here!
- Kendrick Lamar is working with producer Anthony “Top Dawg” Tiffith to curate the soundtrack for the Marvel movie “Black Panther” (Feb 16). Lamar also has a collaborative track with R&B singer SZA, titled “All the Stars,” on the soundtrack.
- Mayday Parade’s 2007 album A Lesson in Romantics hit Gold, while My Chemical Romance’s 2006 album The Black Parade hit Triple Platinum.
- Record Store Day has been set for April 21! Stay tuned for special releases!
- All Time Low announced Creeper as the supporting act for the upcoming The Young Renegades UK Tour.
- Halsey was this week’s musical guest on Saturday Night Live, performing “Bad At Love” and “Him & I” featuring G-Easy.
- The 2018 Rhinoceros Theater Festival in Chicago will feature an art exhibit based on My Chemical Romance, titled “Zone Rats: The Afterlives of the Fabulous Killjoys.” The exhibit will be up from Jan 13-Feb 25 in the Prop Theater. Get tickets here!
- The Foo Fighters will be performing at the 2018 BRIT Awards on Feb 21.
- Bad Cop/Bad Cop’s Stacey Dee was hospitalized on Friday for sepsis. Learn more here.
- Jack White has announced Boarding House Reach (Mar 23) with Third Man Records. Two singles were released, “Connected By Love” and “Respect Commander.”
- ’90s alt-rockers the Breeders are back! The Breeders will drop their first album in a decade, titled All Nerve, on Mar 2 with 4AD.
- Andrew W.K. dropped a new single, “Music is Worth Living For,” and announced his new album You’re Not Alone, out Mar 2 with Red Music and Sony Music.
- Super American dropped two new singles, “Samantha’s Song” and “Good Boy.”
- Fall Out Boy released a hilarious throwback-filled music video for their final single “Wilson (Expensive Mistakes)” on Thursday. Check out my review!
- Sense Fail dropped a new single titled “Gold Jacket, Green Jacket…” off If There Is Light, It Will Find You (Feb 16).
- Escape the Fate released a new single, titled “Broken Heart,” off I Am Human (Feb 16).
- Better Love dropped their debut EP We Were Younger and Less Put Together.
- Black Veil Brides released their fifth studio album Vale on Friday, along with a music video for “Wake Up.” Check out my review!
- Tonight Alive released album #4, Underworld, on Friday. Check out my review!
Read more: 2018 album releases to get excited over
- Shaky Knees Music Festival (Atlanta, May 4-6) will feature Jack White, Queens of the Stone Age, and The National as their headliners. Other performers include All Time Low and Jimmy Eat World.
- Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival‘s (Nashville, June 7-10) 2018 headlining acts are Eminem, The Killers, and Muse. Other performers include Paramore and Bon Iver.
- Firefly Music Festival (Dover, June 14-17) headliners are Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Arctic Monkeys, and The Killers. Among the other performers are blackbear, Foster the People, and Jimmy Eat World.
Shani’s Ideas is on Facebook, so go give us a like! If you liked this, hit the blue button below to become a follower! I’m also on Instagram, Twitter, and other social media, which I update regularly about new posts.